Football bounces back with win over Irondale

Jeremy Pastir

After dropping games to both Fridley and DeLaSalle, the Benilde-St. Margaret’s football team bounced back with a victory over the Irondale Knights. The game was heavily dominated by a strong rushing attack, led by senior running back Peter Watkins and junior running back Nate Barry.

The first quarter ended scoreless, but with the Red Knights winning only the battle of field position. After numerous series of traded punts, senior quarterback Keaton Studsrud found tight-end Jack Sims for a 15 yard touchdown. Irondale responded with a methodical rushing attack, driving down the field and scoring on a quarterback sneak; however, the extra-point was missed, and the score remained 7-6.

Irondale found its way back to the red-zone right before halftime and had the opportunity to take the lead, but an extremely clutch 4th down play at the goal line prevented them from doing so. The Red Knights knocked the ball loose in the corner of the endzone on a fade route, and went into halftime with the lead.

The third quarter was similar to the first, with both offenses unable to strike a rhythm, and both defenses playing lights out. It wasn’t until the fourth quarter that the Red Knights were able to establish their offense and finally found the end zone midway through the fourth quarter with a 35 yard touchdown run from Watkins.

The Red Knights led 14-6, and were looking for one or two more big plays that would seal the game. That came late in the 4th quarter when junior linebacker Jay Weber forced a fumble and only a few plays later, deep in Irondale territory, Studsrud scrambled to the outside and cross the plane just inside the pile-on, putting the Red Knights up 21-6.

“I think it was our offenses ability to keep the ball moving and not give up after only 1 touchdown in the first half [that led to our success]” said junior Nate Barry.

The Red Knights face Tartan, a revamped team who is currently 5-1, this Friday for Senior Night.