Boys’ hockey falls to STA


Will Jarvis

Senior captain Daniel Labosky takes a moment on the ice at the end of the game after losing to St. Thomas Academy 3-1.

David Nelson, Sports Editor

St. Thomas Academy came into their game against the Red Knights on Thursday, Jan. 10 with a mission. After winning back to back state titles, which prompted their upcoming move from class 1A to class 2A next year, they have been battling the state’s top 2A teams to prove they belong in the class.

It would not be farfetched to say that, when the defending class 2A State Champion Benilde-St. Margaret’s Red Knights took the ice, many people saw them as the underdogs. The Cadets have been called the best team in the state by many observers, but the Red Knights were out to prove those people wrong.

In one of the most anticipated games of the 2012-2013 high school hockey league season, the third ranked team in class 2A, BSM, took on the top ranked team in class 1A, St. Thomas Academy. And if St. Thomas needed any more validation that they belong in the same class with powerhouses like BSM, they certainly got it, ending the night with a 3-1 victory.

The Cadets started their assault early in the game when senior Alex Johnson scored off a quick feed from linemate Peter Tufto after St. Thomas came with an aggressive forecheck.

After a roughing penalty was called on BSM senior forward T.J. Moore, St. Thomas used the powerplay to stretch their lead to two, forcing head coach Mr. Ken Pauly to call a timeout less than five minutes into the first period.

Then, BSM’s offense quickly picked up after that led by senior captain Grant Besse. Unfortunately for the Red Knights, Cadet goalie David Zevnik stoned every shot he faced.

That is, until the second period when freshman defenseman Peter Heimbold found the back of the net, cutting the deficit to only a goal. It wasn’t until there was 36 seconds left in the second when St. Thomas’ Tom Novak scored the game sealing goal, putting the Cadets back up two points heading into the second intermission.

In an odd turn of events during the third period, it appeared that Besse had, once again, brought the Red Knights back within one goal after a shot that bounced right off Zevnik’s back. However, the goal was called off because the referee claimed to have blown the play dead before the goal was scored.

The Red Knights weren’t able to mount a comeback after that and the Cadets celebrated another win over a very impressive opponent. “We’re starting to get to the point where we really need to zero in on specific lines and specific responsibilities. We need people to step up and expand their role. Teams are going to be focusing on shutting down our top line and if they do that right now, they’re going to be successful,” Head Coach Mr. Ken Pauly said.

The Red Knights have another tough test Saturday when they take on the Minnetonka Skippers at the St. Louis Park Recreation Center.