Boys headed to state championship

It would be an understatement to say boys’ basketball team beat Minneapolis Henry in the state semifinals; they dismantled the Patriots, 100-70, setting up a tantalizing rematch with St. Thomas Academy for the championship on Saturday night.

The game was heavily lopsided from the onset. BSM jumped all over the Patriots and came out firing on all cylinders. Just several minutes into the game, the Red Knights had built a 29-3 lead. Henry never recovered.

At halftime, BSM led 56-27, sparked by senior Matt Thomas’ five three pointers. The Red Knights continued to cruise in the second half, at one point building a 40 point lead. In the end, 13 different BSM players scored, four reached double digits, and the team surpassed the century mark for only the second time in the last three years.

Senior Armond Battle had a game high 21 points for the Red Knights, followed by senior Jordan Taylor with 19, who backed up his 43-point performance from Wednesday with another solid outing.

The Red Knights will now face St. Thomas Academy for the state championship, a rematch of last year’s final. The Cadets defeated Willmar 56-35 immediately after BSM’s victory.

In last year’s game, top-ranked St. Thomas used suffocating defense and timely shooting to knock off the Red Knights, 56-40. But this year BSM is the favorite going into the game. The Red Knights have been ranked the top team in class 3A since the beginning of the year, are riding an 18 game winning streak, and are coming off their best game of the season. Not to mention the bitter taste that is still sitting in their mouth from last season. This is a game you will not want to miss.