Junior admitted to prestigious theater summer program

Ava Azadegan
Junior Danny Faber’s involvement in BSM theater productions are one of many things that helped him get into the Tisch summer program.

While some students will spend the summer on mission trips, traveling or working at their summer jobs, Benilde-St. Margaret’s junior Danny Faber will spend his free months in New York City studying musical theater at New York University’s New Studio Summer Music Theater program. The program, hosted by the Tisch School of the Arts’ summer high school, will focus on an accelerated level of musical theater performance. “During the program I will be taking classes in acting, dancing, and singing. I’m extremely excited for dance classes because I will be learning dances like ballet, Broadway-style, hip-hop, and salsa.” Faber said.

Faber, who has participated in many musicals and plays at BSM, applied to the prestigious school earlier this year. The highly selective program chose Faber along with 31 others from around the country. “The application was very similar to a college application. I had to send in official transcripts, and write a paper answering questions to determine whether I was right for the program, two recommendations, and a theatre resume,” Faber said.

Faber will be in New York from July 14 to August 10, spending his weeks taking classes, while weekends will be spent critically analyzing Broadway shows. “The program is a lot like school because I will be getting grades in my classes as well as 6 NYU college credits from the program,” Faber said.

Faber hopes the experience will help him to attend NYU in the future as he pursues a career in musical theater. His involvement in this program is sure to be an experience that will greatly impact his aspirations for the future.“It will prepare me for college and being away from home. I think that it will be a really eye opening experience for me because I’ll eventually get to experience college for a month,” Faber said.