Boys’ soccer takes home the gold

In what might’ve been the biggest upset in program history, the boys’ soccer team shocked the high school soccer world, handing Prairie Seeds Academy their first ever loss by a score of 3-1 in the state championship game on Nov. 3.

The Red Knights got off to the quick start they needed, with senior forward Jake Horton scoring in the sixth minute of the game to put BSM up early. PSA responded later in the half, with sophomore forward Carlos Boquin scoring on a strike from far out.

Boquin had been ineligible for the previous two games of the tournament while the MSHSL investigated his age (on his club team, he is listed as being 23, which would make him three years too old to play in high school). Boquin was declared eligible just moments before kick-off, not even warming up with the team because he was unaware of his eligibility status.

The Red Knights avoided the controversy, however, by adding two goals in the second half. The first was scored with mayhem in front ten minutes into the second half by senior midfielder Carter Eckerline, with Mr. Soccer winner, senior forward Johnny Mulvahill, heading one in for insurance.

The Lycans had never lost in the two year history of their boys’ varsity soccer program and had been ranked number one almost all season. The win gives BSM their 5th Class A State Championship since 1997, the most of any school since the two class system was put in place that same year.