Knight Errant

Engineering room catches fire

On May 31, part of the engineering room caught fire. The fire was put out quickly and not a lot of equipment was damaged.

Em Paquette

On May 31, part of the engineering room caught fire. The fire was put out quickly and not a lot of equipment was damaged.

Ronan Brew, Staff Writer

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






Last night, a fire started in the BSM engineering room. Although the sprinklers quickly put out the flame, important elements of the Advanced Competitive Science (ACS) program may be damaged.

Every year, the ACS team travels somewhere around the world for an annual robotics tournament. In two weeks, the BSM team will be headed to Montreal. Unfortunately, the fire began in the charging station for the cart destined to compete in the tournament.

“We will test the cart this afternoon, and if something is wrong, we need to fix it or start again very soon,” engineering teacher Dr. Peter Kirwin said.

Currently, maintenance staff is working promptly to get the high tech classroom back in action. Fans have been placed throughout the room to eliminate the smell associated with the faulty lithium battery that caught aflame.

“Currently, engineering classes are being held upstairs. We hope to have classes back tomorrow,” Kirwin and co-engineering teacher Ms. Kirsten Hoogenakker said.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Leave a Comment

The Knight Errant intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. The Knight Errant does not allow anonymous comments, and the Knight Errant requires first and last names and a valid email address in order for comments to be published. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.




Navigate Right
Navigate Left
  • Engineering room catches fire

    NEWS

    KE staff participates in annual MHSPA conference

  • Engineering room catches fire

    MULTIMEDIA

    BSM welcomes eight new teachers

  • Engineering room catches fire

    NEWS

    New rugby club hits the turf this fall

  • Engineering room catches fire

    NEWS

    Power outage results in online school day

  • Engineering room catches fire

    MULTIMEDIA

    Passwords get longer and more secure for teachers and new students

  • Engineering room catches fire

    EDITOR'S PICKS

    Room crunch causes teachers to travel between rooms, sometime even outside their department

  • Engineering room catches fire

    EDITOR'S PICKS

    New handbook rules rolled out for 2018-2019 school year

  • Engineering room catches fire

    EDITOR'S PICKS

    BSM renovates old courtyard to create new learning spaces

  • Engineering room catches fire

    NEWS

    BSM tennis coach fired

  • Engineering room catches fire

    MULTIMEDIA

    BSM hires two new assistant principals

The student news site of Benilde-St. Margaret's School in St. Louis Park, MN
Engineering room catches fire