Freshman Peyton Melin organizes Lenten common basket

The Melin family visited with a family during their travels to Flores De Villa, Peru, last summer. Their trip included aiding their church in building homes for struggling Peruvians. (courtesy of Peyton Melin)

April 15, 2014

With the help of the BSM World Language Department, freshman Peyton Melin spent the week of April 1 raising awareness to the community of BSM about a small city in Peru, Flores de Villa, located about 30 minutes from the capital, Lima. “Lima is a modern city with a casino,... Continue Reading

Junior establishes self as premier softball player

April 15, 2014

Junior captain Maddie Houlihan has come along way since first stepping up to the tee-ball plate as a young six year old. With her college future already mapped out and two years remaining as a Red Knight still to play, the University... Continue Reading

Senior looks to continue acting at prestigious institute

Since his first performance in the BSM eighth grade production of "Annie," Faber has dedicated his life to singing, dancing, and acting, which ultimately landed him at Tisch School of Arts. (Dasia Davenport)

April 14, 2014

After refreshing his web page for hours, senior Danny Faber spotted a green box in the corner of his screen, informing him of his acceptance into the musical theater program at Tisch School of the Arts. “For a moment I didn’t know what had happened and my whole body started shaking, it was emotionally... Continue Reading

Aloe Blacc makes a name for himself in latest record

The album takes influence from the sounds of the 60's and 70's, while still remain modern and fresh. (Aloe Blacc press image)

April 9, 2014

Aloe Blacc makes a name for himself in the music business with “Lift Your Spirit,” a soulful and creative album with a classy feel. His vintage sound made it more difficult for him to produce hits, but his... Continue Reading

The AP Euro Review: a journey in procrastination

Staff writer Emily Pirkl struggles through the perils of her AP Euro assignments. (Shannon O'Connor)

February 25, 2014

It’s 11:09 p.m. (nine minutes after my self-imposed bedtime) and I’m far from snuggling under my flannel bed sheets. By the looks of it, I will be violating my own rule for the fifth night in a row, and, judging by my track record, this won’t be the last time. I’m on Tumblr, of course. Or, at least, I was. Then I clicked on link for a YouTube... Continue Reading

SportDateTimeOpponentLocation
BaseballWed, Apr 16 4:15 p.m.Totino-GraceHome
Boys GolfWed, Apr 16 12 p.m.Prior Lake InviteThe Wilds Golf Course
Girls GolfWed, Apr 16 3 p.m.NSC OpponentsMajestic Oaks Golf Course
Boys TennisWed, Apr 16 4:15 p.m.OronoOrono High School
Boys LacrosseThu, Apr 17 7 p.m.Spring Lake ParkAway
Girls LacrosseThu, Apr 17 7 p.m.Spring Lake ParkHome
Boys TennisThu, Apr 17 4:00 p.m.Robbinsdale ArmstrongArmstrong High School
Boys TrackThu, Apr 17 4:00 p.m.Multiple OpponentsFridely
Girls TrackThu, Apr 17 4:00 p.m.Multiple OpponentsFridely
Boys LacrosseSat, Apr 19 5 p.m.EaganAway
BaseballMon, Apr 21 4:30 p.m.WayzataHome
Boys GolfMon, Apr 21 9 a.m.Chanhassen Invite Deer Run Golf Club
Click on any sport above to see a full schedule for that sport.
SportDateOpponentResultW/L
Boys TennisTue, Apr 08 Columbia Heights7-0W
Boys TrackTue, Apr 08 Multiple Opponents46
Tue, Apr 08 Multiple Opponents83
Girls TrackTue, Apr 08 Multiple Opponents83
Boys TennisMon, Apr 07 Blake 3-4L
Girls BasketballSat, Mar 08 Holy Family Catholic61-66L
Girls BasketballTue, Mar 04 Mound-Westonka85-60W
Boys BasketballSat, Mar 01 Waconia60-69L
Girls BasketballFri, Feb 28 Columbia Heights84-46W
Boys HockeyWed, Feb 26 Eden Prairie2-3 2OTL
Boys BasketballTue, Feb 25 Mound-Westonka50-47W
Girls BasketballTue, Feb 25 St. Louis Park71-47W

Gotta’ get down on Friday

Danielle Kincs, Editor in Chief
May 10, 2011
Filed under Humor

Friday nights: the epitome of the high school experience. A time for dates, concerts, and rages (aka parties… see I’m not new to this, I’ve got the lingo down). Despite knowing this night wouldn’t live up to any Rebecca Black song, I tried to make it sound cool, telling all my friends, “Hey,... Read More »

I bought the beads! I promise!

I bought the beads! I promise!

Danielle Kincs, Editor-in-Chief
March 15, 2011
Filed under Humor

The smell of urine and garbage hanging in the air, the charming dance moves of the scruffy overly-enthusiastic man holding a mysterious drink in a paper bag, multiple shops claiming to sell “Voodoo spells and curses”… I knew immediately this was going to be a vacation to remember. Ah New Orleans,... Read More »

From bookworm to “California Gurl”

From bookworm to “California Gurl”

Danielle Kincs, Editor-in-Chief
February 22, 2011
Filed under Humor

I have a confession to make. I have a blue wig in my closet. I’ve showed up––rather, made an appearance––at a party with Pauly D on my arm. Yes, the quiet girl some think is named Daniel Kinks (that pronunciation is wrong by the way) who sits in the back of the class and––gasp––doesn’t... Read More »

Administration blocks Skype on student computers

Emily Busch and Danielle Kincs, Emily Busch, and Danielle Kincs
September 13, 2010
Filed under News, Top Stories

In response to students communicating across the school with each other via Skype during the day, the administration disabled the application on BSM laptops September 9. However within only hours of the school administration blocking Skype use at both school and home, students have already found... Read More »

Changes coming to BSM marketing and communications department

Danielle Kincs
June 22, 2010
Filed under News

Students may have wondered why the faces of their classmates have been turning up in their mail. This is only one of the projects the BSM marketing and communications department has been working on this year.  However, with changes coming to the Website, logo, and other internal and external communications,... Read More »

What happened to genuine good deeds?

Danielle Kincs
May 14, 2010
Filed under Opinions

From a young age, children are taught to do good deeds for other people. This idea of goodwill is reinforced throughout students' lives from singing at nursing homes in Girl Scouts to organizing food drives in elementary school. The stressed importance of doing good deeds for others is even carried into... Read More »

BSM needs classes for “real-life” experiences

Danielle Kincs
April 19, 2010
Filed under Opinions

As I watched a certain friend of mine wander aimlessly in the halls after school one day, looking pitiful with jumper cables wrapped around her neck, I thought to myself: "Could this have been prevented?" Her car had died, and she did not know how to re-charge the battery and was scared of even attempting... Read More »

Heardontv.com

Danielle Kincs
April 19, 2010
Filed under News

Ever heard a really good song on TV and didn't know what it was called?  Not to worry, the life saver that is the Internet once again comes through for us so that we all don't go crazy.  Heardontv.com's purpose is in its name: a resource to find songs that were heard on TV.  User-generated, heardontv.com... Read More »

Olympic obsession

Danielle Kincs
March 9, 2010
Filed under Humor

It was the first day of March and I had fallen into a deep depression. No, it wasn't because I realized that we were still at least two months away from some glimmer of spring (yes, the first official day of spring is in March, but who are we kidding? We're in Minnesota). The Olympics were over, and... Read More »

Italy tour update

Danielle Kincs
March 5, 2010
Filed under News

The world famous canals of Venice, Michelangelo's beautiful paintings in the Sistine Chapel, and the legendary Colosseum of Rome will all have to wait. BSM's planned trip to Italy has been rescheduled for spring break of 2011. "It gives us a year to plan and budget," said trip coordinator Mr. Robert... Read More »

Koshiol and Overbo saying goodbye to debate

Danielle Kincs
March 4, 2010
Filed under News

Starting next year, the debate team will no longer be graced with the same animated conversations or unmistakable fashion sense. Ms. Änna Overbo and Ms. Kari Koshiol will no longer coaching. After having coached for many years, Ms.Koshiol and Ms. Overbo have made the decision to discontinue due... Read More »

New student teacher is pursuing his dream

Danielle Kincs
February 19, 2010
Filed under News

For most of us, high school is the first step towards college, careers, and our future. However, for Mr. Alan McCarthy, going back to high school is the last step before his new career. Mr. McCarthy didn't come back to high school to learn the subjects again; rather, he came to teach them. Mr.... Read More »

So this one time in band class…

Danielle Kincs
January 25, 2010
Filed under Activities, Student Life, Top Stories

Sometimes they seem to go unnoticed--but they are always there, at every home football game in the fall. In the winter, they are cheering at the boys' and girls' basketball games, causing the Great Hall to resonate with the tunes of "Soul Man" and "Smoke on the Water." They are there at the closing... Read More »

Freshmen debaters sweep tournament

Danielle Kincs
December 17, 2009
Filed under Activities, Student Life

Kristian Evans and Adam Bamonti have been known to bicker like siblings, and as the only freshmen on BSM's debate team, they seemed to have taken up the roles as the younger brothers as well. However, on December 5, these two "younger brothers" proved that they were anything but the underdogs. On... Read More »

Battle of the brains

Danielle Kincs
December 4, 2009
Filed under Activities, Student Life

The average person probably wouldn't know the atomic symbol for antimony, nor the name of Medea's husband in Greek mythology, but at a Quiz Bowl meet, the contestants (and the questions) are far from average. Quiz Bowl requires the elite few of the trivia junkies and all-around brainiacs, many of whom... Read More »

22,000 bricks later: an Eagle Scout Award

Danielle Kincs
November 29, 2009
Filed under Student Life

On the cold morning of Halloween, volunteers sat huddled brushing off the excavated bricks of BSM's reflection path. Half of the bricks that once made up the winding path from the softball field to the track were already loaded on pallets. While many other students may have been planning out... Read More »

Enlightenment salon

Danielle Kincs
November 29, 2009
Filed under Student Life

Poets, philosophers, and royalty from all over Enlightenment-era Europe met on November 10 to converse and share ideas with marked British accents. Recalling their life stories and discussing the current issues of the era, the characters were convincing, seeming almost real--until one member of the... Read More »

Security guard devotes life to safety

Danielle Kincs
November 3, 2009
Filed under Student Life

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night keeps this loyal sentry from directing traffic or watching over the school with his golf cart. His name is Jon Pachkofsky, although to many he is simply known as "the security guard." Many students are familiar with Pachkofsky, who can be seen... Read More »

Bowling team: the first “non-competitive” sport

Danielle Kincs
November 2, 2009

The sound of crashing pins can barely be heard over Mr. Hawkins' laughter as the bowling team practices under the dim lights of the alley. For the nearly 60 kids who participate in bowling this year, this is just another day in the glamorous life that is the bowling team. Many students enjoy the relaxed... Read More »

ABC’s newest addicting TV engagement “Flash-Forward”

Danielle Kincs
November 2, 2009
Filed under Reviews, TV Reviews

Dogs bark, people scream, buildings burn, then suddenly a helicopter falls from the sky.  The highways and roads are littered with thousands of over-turned cars.  There is death and destruction everywhere. The entire world is in utter Armageddon-grade chaos.  There couldn't be a better series premiere. Immediately... Read More »

A day at the race track

Danielle Kincs
October 9, 2009
Filed under Humor

Some said I was crazy to go to Florida in the middle of the summer: the heat and humidity would be terrible, not to mention the threat of hurricanes. All I thought about was sitting on a beach, storing up sun for the long winter. I was driving with my grandpa and my brother on a three-day road trip... Read More »