Boys’ hockey advances to section finals

After three years of semifinal heartbreak, the boys’ hockey team is back in the section finals. The Red Knights advanced with a 5-0 win over Robbinsdale Armstrong on Saturday, Feb. 25.

Sophomore forward Zach Hale scored the lone goal of the first period when he found himself open in the slot. It was just his third goal of the season.

In the second, junior defenseman Patrick Graham beat the screened Falcon goalie from the point. Just three minute later, senior forward Christian Horn shot one off the post to put the Red Knights up three.

Horn scored again six minutes into the third, assisted by senior defenseman Jake Horton and senior forward Jake O’Borsky. With about nine minutes left, senior forward Al Anderson took a major penalty for head contact, putting BSM down a man for five minutes. The Red Knights killed off the penalty, and junior forward Tj Moore scored with two minutes left on an empty net to seal the win.

Junior goaltender Justin Quale stopped 22 shots to record the shut out. Quale also stopped every shot he faced in BSM’s section quarterfinal game against Holy Family.

The Red Knights will play top-seeded Minnetonka in the section finals on Wednesday, Feb. 29 at Mariucci. The Skippers beat BSM 5-3 on Jan. 12 in a close game at Minnetonka’s home arena, the Pagel Activity Center.