Horn sets scoring record in blowout

Goals and celebrations were plentiful during the boys’ hockey team’s 15-0 defeat of Spring Lake Park Tuesday night as two players recorded hat tricks and senior forward Christian Horn became the number one scorer in school history.

Horn started contributing early, scoring one minute and 39 seconds into the period. Junior forwards Grant Besse and Tj Moore both tallied, and senior defenseman Jake Horton would also score in the first for a 4-0 lead.

The second period started off just as strongly for BSM when Horn scored a goal just a minute in to tie Troy Riddle’s all time-scoring record. The tie in points wouldn’t last long, however, as just ten minutes later Horn assisted on another Besse power play goal, claiming sole possession of a scoring title which had remained unchallenged since the 1998-1999 season. “It was really cool, it was something I had in my mind since my freshman year,” said Horn. “I knew that there was a possibility [to break the record], and it was definitely on my mind. After I scored on my first shift I told myself that it’s happening tonight.”

Horn totaled four points on the night. Besse recorded seven (4+3) points total, while Moore tallied five (3+2) points and Horton recorded four (1+3). Junior goalie Justin Quale got the win, and the team improved to 9-3-0 to remain undefeated North Suburban Conference.