BSM theater department honored with state awards

Benilde-St. Margaret’s drama department’s production of Thoroughly Modern Millie has been awarded multiple SpotLight Awards, sponsored by the Hennepin Theatre Trust. The show received both Outstanding Production and Outstanding Performance award. This is the third consecutive year the BSM drama department has been honored with this prestigious award.

Throughout the year, skilled evaluators, from the SpotLight program, attend musical theatre productions at schools throughout Minnesota and provide feedback to participating students. Schools are given recognition for their efforts through awards based on their own merit and are not judged competitively against other schools.

Along with receiving overall awards, many students in leading and supporting roles were commended for their performances by receiving individual awards. And earning a SpotLight Award left BSM students feeling very rewarded. “I’m doing what I love when I perform my role on stage, that is a reward in itself, but actually getting an award for performing my role is the greatest feeling ever”, Luke Guidinger, an individual award winner, said.

On June 3, BSM students will showcase parts of Thoroughly Modern Millie at The SpotLight Showcase. “We put on a medley of some of the songs in our show at the Orpheum. Usually we do some of the big group number with individual solos in the medley. We do the big group numbers to showcase everyone. It’s really fun to get to see other schools perform,” Guidinger said.