NAHS to donate art to annual fundraiser

People+of+any+age+were+able+to+donate+art+to+be+auctioned+off%2C+and+proceeds+went+to+Little+Brothers+-+Friends+of+the+Elderly.+

Maya Berg

People of any age were able to donate art to be auctioned off, and proceeds went to Little Brothers – Friends of the Elderly.

Elizabeth Kupchella, Staff Writer

Amongst more traditional high school sports such as football and hockey, there’s an equally impressive activities culture at Benilde-St. Margaret’s. Though the activities offered at BSM amount to a diverse combination of intellectual skills, any Red Knight can agree that some of the most influential parts of our community are the opportunities we have to volunteer.

Junior Maya Berg decided to implement the volunteer culture in an activity she was involved with, NAHS, and brought the Cuningham Group’s Annual Creative Exhibition to BSM. “It’s basically an event where people donate their own art to get auctioned off, and all the money goes to a different charity every year. So for NAHS, we have to do a certain number of volunteer hours and art events each year, and I thought it would be a good opportunity for both,” said Berg.

Berg originally got the idea from her father who works for the company. “I’ve been doing it since sixth grade because my dad works for the company, and he gave me the idea that BSM students could be involved too since we have such a great visual arts program,” said Berg.

The charity is chosen by the company each year, and this year the organization was Little Brothers – Friends of the Elderly, a group committed to bringing older and younger generations together to foster a sense of community.

This year’s event was held at 7 pm on Saturday, November 14th, 2015 at Minneapolis Event Centers, and was an overall success for both the artists and the charity. “A lot of people came, and there was a lot of variety of artwork that was auctioned,” Berg said.