Future Problem Solvers

A new activity has been added to the Benilde-St. Margaret’s roster this year: Future Problem Solvers. Headed by Ms. Kathryn Green, FPS is intended to prepare students for 21st century problems by teaching them how how to think, not what to think.

Participants work by themselves or on teams of three or four students and form a solution to large scale problems that the world may face in years to come. This year’s topics include orphaned children, food distribution, and green living.

Ms. Green even participated in Future Problem Solvers when she was a high-school junior. “I enjoyed it and thought it was fun,” said Ms. Green.

But Future Problem Solvers has become a whole new game since Ms. Green’s high-school days, having now grown to an international competition. This year, the international tournament is being held in Minnesota, with students from places such as Russia and Singapore competing. But BSM students will first have to place in the regional and state tournament before being able to compete on the international level.

Though it’s an extremely competitive activity, BSM hopes to make the group challenging and worthwhile. Ms. Green plans to use the new google docs accounts to make Future Problem Solvers a much more low-key activity. “[This activity is] for people who don’t have a lot of time, but still want to be a part of it,” said Ms. Green.