Freshman Peyton Melin organizes Lenten common basket

The Melin family visited with a family during their travels to Flores De Villa, Peru, last summer. Their trip included aiding their church in building homes for struggling Peruvians. (courtesy of Peyton Melin)

April 15, 2014

With the help of the BSM World Language Department, freshman Peyton Melin spent the week of April 1 raising awareness to the community of BSM about a small city in Peru, Flores de Villa, located about 30 minutes from the capital, Lima. “Lima is a modern city with a casino,... Continue Reading

Junior establishes self as premier softball player

April 15, 2014

Junior captain Maddie Houlihan has come along way since first stepping up to the tee-ball plate as a young six year old. With her college future already mapped out and two years remaining as a Red Knight still to play, the University... Continue Reading

The importance of feminism can’t be ignored

The iconic Rosie the Riveter image has been a symbol of feminism since World War 2. (Ryan Applehof)

April 17, 2014

I grew up with a stay at home dad. Every morning, he brushed my hair, made my lunch, and sent me off to school. In the evenings, he made dinner and folded laundry. My mom has always been the breadwinner, and I never questioned this situation––it was just how we did things. I think it is the responsibility... Continue Reading

Aloe Blacc makes a name for himself in latest record

The album takes influence from the sounds of the 60's and 70's, while still remain modern and fresh. (Aloe Blacc press image)

April 9, 2014

Aloe Blacc makes a name for himself in the music business with “Lift Your Spirit,” a soulful and creative album with a classy feel. His vintage sound made it more difficult for him to produce hits, but his... Continue Reading

The AP Euro Review: a journey in procrastination

Staff writer Emily Pirkl struggles through the perils of her AP Euro assignments. (Shannon O'Connor)

February 25, 2014

It’s 11:09 p.m. (nine minutes after my self-imposed bedtime) and I’m far from snuggling under my flannel bed sheets. By the looks of it, I will be violating my own rule for the fifth night in a row, and, judging by my track record, this won’t be the last time. I’m on Tumblr, of course. Or, at least, I was. Then I clicked on link for a YouTube... Continue Reading

SportDateTimeOpponentLocation
BaseballMon, Apr 21 4:30 p.m.WayzataHome
Boys GolfMon, Apr 21 9 a.m.Chanhassen Invite Deer Run Golf Club
BaseballTue, Apr 22 4:15 p.m.IrondaleAway
Boys GolfTue, Apr 22 1 p.m.NSC OpponentsVictory Links Golf Course
Girls GolfTue, Apr 22 3 p.m.NSC OpponentsMajestic Oaks Golf Course
Boys LacrosseTue, Apr 22 7 p.m.St. Thomas AcademyHome
Boys TennisTue, Apr 22 4:00 p.m.FridleyFridley High School
Boys TennisWed, Apr 23 4:00 p.m.WayzataWayzata High School
BaseballThu, Apr 24 4:15 p.m.Spring Lake ParkHome
Girls GolfThu, Apr 24 3 p.m.NSC OpponentsMajestic Oaks Golf Course
Boys LacrosseThu, Apr 24 7 p.m.Blake Away
Girls LacrosseThu, Apr 24 7 p.m.EdinaHome
Click on any sport above to see a full schedule for that sport.
SportDateOpponentResultW/L
BaseballSat, Apr 19 Totino-Grace2-1W
Boys LacrosseSat, Apr 19 Eagan14-15L
Boys LacrosseThu, Apr 17 Spring Lake Park17-4W
Girls LacrosseThu, Apr 17 Spring Lake Park17-3W
Boys TrackThu, Apr 17 Multiple OpponentsCANCEL
Girls TrackThu, Apr 17 Multiple OpponentsCANCEL
BaseballTue, Apr 15 Fridley5-1W
Boys GolfTue, Apr 15 NSC Opponents2nd Place
Boys LacrosseTue, Apr 15 Eden Prairie8-7W
Girls LacrosseTue, Apr 15 Columbia Heights15-1W
Boys TennisTue, Apr 15 Totino-Grace7-0W
Girls GolfMon, Apr 14 BSM/Red Knight InviteCANCEL

An attempt at ‘No-Shave November’

An attempt at ‘No-Shave November’

Ryan Lawyer, Staff Writer
November 27, 2011
Filed under Humor

I'd like to return to one of my favorite topics: hair. Specifically, facial hair. Throughout high school, I’ve attempted to grow out my beard only twice––both times for a great cause. Both, you see, were playoff beards. Any other time I’ve let the scruff rage for even a few days, I have been... Read More »

Always the odd man out

Ryan Lawyer, Diversions Editor
October 18, 2011
Filed under Humor

Throughout my life, I have found myself in the wrong place at the wrong time... a lot. Living with mostly women, I see, hear, and smell some strange things that men are just not meant to be a part of. But my fiasco doesn’t end there. Throughout my high school career, I’ve met a bunch of people... Read More »

A word to the wise

Ryan Lawyer, staff writer
May 27, 2011
Filed under Humor

Disclaimer: The observations and hypotheses set forth in this article are gleaned from market research and are presented for readers' consideration. In my opinion, all women that I have ever lived with or had a significant relationship with are perfect in all regards and do not need to change their behaviors,... Read More »

Boys’ lacrosse beats AHA

Ryan Lawyer
May 26, 2011
Filed under Sports Briefs

With storms brewing in the distance, the boys’ lacrosse team defeated the Holy Angels’ defense on Saturday with a final score of 11-3. Defensively, the Red Knights held Holy Angels to only one goal in each quarter. The high scoring Red Knights’ offense proved effective before lightning ended... Read More »

Boys’ Lacrosse beats Spring Lake Park

Ryan Lawyer
May 26, 2011
Filed under Sports Briefs

The boys’ lacrosse team struggled to get their usual firepower going early in the first quarter, but eventually recovered, beating Spring Lake Park 11-2 on Tuesday. “We were just having trouble finishing,” said junior Will Hoesley, who had three goals against the Panthers. With last year’s... Read More »

Well that’s awkward

Well that’s awkward

Ryan Lawyer, Staff Writer
May 9, 2011
Filed under Humor

As I hurry down the hall to French, I notice someone in my path. Do I go left? Do I go right? Do I keep walking straight? I do a little juke-step, then take a gamble and stay straight. The second hand stops as momentum carries me toward my unwitting dance partner, who has mimicked my every steps... Read More »

Book 2: Hanging Out With Men

Book 2: Hanging Out With Men

Ryan Lawyer, Staff Writer
May 6, 2011
Filed under Humor

It is a universally accepted truth that a civilized man acts differently than he would in the state of nature. Whether in the presence of a boss, a teacher, a coach, or even fellow peers, men cannot be themselves in today's society. It is only in the natural habitat of men that they are permitted to... Read More »

Book 1: In Public With Another Man

Book 1: In Public With Another Man

Ryan Lawyer, Staff Writer
April 19, 2011
Filed under Humor

Most of the time, men are committed to their families, spouses, or jobs. However, occasionally they break free from these commitments and are permitted to rendezvous with other men. These rendezvous are commonly referred to as “man dates.” When on a man date, men will go to dinner (usually a bar),... Read More »

Students find ways to avoid the filter

Ryan Lawyer
April 5, 2011
Filed under News

As BSM becomes a more tech savvy school, websites as common as Facebook, YouTube, and the Knight Errant web page itself, have been blocked by the school’s filter. Now with the one-to-one laptop program, the attempts to evade the block have increased significantly. As security increases, the variety... Read More »

Man love: a primer on bromance

Man love: a primer on bromance

Ryan Lawyer, Staff Writer
March 8, 2011
Filed under Humor

Man love is everywhere in our daily lives as human. It is quite simply, the epitome of the male, human race. Sure, most men desire other women but for whatever reason, nothing can match the sentimental significance of a bro hug in the hall, or butt slap on the football field. All guys who become good... Read More »

Getting huge!

Getting huge!

Ryan Lawyer, Staff Writer
February 18, 2011
Filed under Humor

Normally when someone meets a person, they notice their eye color or maybe their bushy eyebrows or other oddities. But when I met Chad Herr, a personal trainer assigned to me by my summer lacrosse coach, the only thing I could see was his biceps––they were literally the size of my face. As I stared,... Read More »

Dollhouse: six girls, two guys, one roof

Ryan Lawyer, staff writer
January 19, 2011
Filed under Humor

I am comfortable using the word “tampon.” Comments about the female menstrual cycle do not phase me––not even at the dinner table. PMS is a part of my daily life. This is not because I long for a transgender procedure when I am eighteen... it is because I live with six women. My father and I... Read More »

Tech department offers unique opportunity for student

Ryan Lawyer, staff writer
January 4, 2011
Filed under Student Life

Some may hate the daily strains of owning a computer, but to junior Josh Paquette, it’s a lifestyle. Paquette uses his knowledge of computer to work with the help desk, assisting them with the daily problems with the laptop program that arise with over 1400 computers in the school. At the beginning... Read More »

The hairier, the merrier

Ryan Lawyer, staff writer
January 4, 2011
Filed under Humor

What happened to the days of “the hairier, the merrier?” In recent years, bodily hair, of any sort, has been given a bad reputation. Men should embrace their God-given flow. Guys like Tom Selleck, ZZ top, Conan O’Brien, and even the guy from American Chopper know what facial hair is really about—power.... Read More »

Guys’ group inspires

Ryan Lawyer
December 29, 2010
Filed under Humor

I was sitting in the library doing my APUSH homework when I noticed an interesting pattern. A few boys from several different backgrounds were all massing together in the library conference room. I saw the choir boys, a few football players, some cross country kids, and a couple knowledge bowl guys all... Read More »

New teacher: Mr. T

Ryan Lawyer
September 26, 2010
Filed under News

He ain’t no fool, but he ain’t yet on the A team either. Mr. Patrick TeVrucht, or “Mr. T” as students call him, currently serves as a substitute teacher for Ms. Seppala while she is on maternity leave. He teaches the Honors Geometry and Advanced Algebra classes. Mr. T has not always been... Read More »