BSM alum succeeds in journalism industry as TIME reporter

July 10, 2014

As Benilde-St. Margaret’s seniors endured their final days of high school before graduation, they prepare to move one step closer to getting jobs and becoming successful. Benilde-St. Margaret’s class of 2008 alum, Alexandra Sifferlin, is an example of this success; she has turned what was once a childhood ambition into an exciting reality. Sifferlin is now a health reporter for TIME Magazine, and has spent the last few years reporting on an assortment of health related issues. “I love being a health reporter because I like to think I’m doing a service. Health, medicine, and science impact everyone, and I get the most touching emails from readers,” said Sifferlin. At the age of... Continue Reading

Baseball team falls short to Armstrong in vital section game

June 4, 2014

The Benilde-St. Margaret’s baseball team made the trek to Siebert Field at the University of Minnesota to take on the Wayzata Trojans in a section playoff showdown. According to junior Connor Day, “Our team played well and with a lot of chemistry. We rebounded well from our loss last week.” The Trojans scored first with one player crossing the plate in the top half of the first inning; the Red Knights answered by scoring two runs in the bottom of the second. BSM senior Michael Kaminski threw a complete game, allowing only two runs over the course of seven innings as well as recording one RBI. Junior Tyler Wyvell along with seniors Keaton Studsrud and Christopher Racchini also contributed... Continue Reading

10 Things To Do Around Lake Calhoun

Going to the beach is one of the most popular pastimes of Lake Calhoun goers. Bring a towel and your sun block and head to either one of the two beaches of Lake Calhoun. (Keenan Schember, Megan Ortizcazarin)

10 Things To Do Around Lake Calhoun

June 5, 2014

The definitive ranking of BSM water fountains

Sophamore Gunnar Lundberg stops for a cool refreshing drink (Emily Larson)

June 3, 2014

As the days become longer and the heat index spikes, students often seek the comfort of a cool sip of water from one of the many selections of drinking fountains offered at BSM. But with so many to choose from, not all can claim the title of Most Popular Water Fountain. From dirty drains, leaky fountains, horrible locations and warm, iron-laced water,... Continue Reading

SportDateTimeOpponentLocation
Boys SoccerTue, Aug 19 3:45 p.m.BlakeBlake Middle School
Girls SoccerTue, Aug 19 7 p.m.Holy AngelsHome
Boys SoccerThu, Aug 21 4 p.m.MarshallMarshall
Girls SoccerThu, Aug 21 7 p.m.Blake Blake Middle School
Boys SoccerTue, Aug 26 7 p.m.Eden PraireHome
FootballThu, Aug 28 7 p.m.Holy AngelsHoly Angels
Boys SoccerThu, Aug 28 4:30 p.m.St Paul AcademySt Paul Academy
Girls SoccerThu, Aug 28 7:30 p.m.MinnetonkaHome
Boys SoccerTue, Sep 02 7 p.m.OronoHome
Girls SoccerTue, Sep 02 5 p.m.OronoOrono HS
Boys SoccerThu, Sep 04 5 p.m.RochesterHome
FootballFri, Sep 05 7 p.m.ChaskaChaska HS
Click on any sport above to see a full schedule for that sport.
SportDateOpponentResultW/L

An attempt at ‘No-Shave November’

An attempt at ‘No-Shave November’

Ryan Lawyer, Staff Writer
November 27, 2011
Filed under Humor

I'd like to return to one of my favorite topics: hair. Specifically, facial hair. Throughout high school, I’ve attempted to grow out my beard only twice––both times for a great cause. Both, you see, were playoff beards. Any other time I’ve let the scruff rage for even a few days, I have been... Read more »

Always the odd man out

Ryan Lawyer, Diversions Editor
October 18, 2011
Filed under Humor

Throughout my life, I have found myself in the wrong place at the wrong time... a lot. Living with mostly women, I see, hear, and smell some strange things that men are just not meant to be a part of. But my fiasco doesn’t end there. Throughout my high school career, I’ve met a bunch of people... Read more »

A word to the wise

Ryan Lawyer, staff writer
May 27, 2011
Filed under Humor

Disclaimer: The observations and hypotheses set forth in this article are gleaned from market research and are presented for readers' consideration. In my opinion, all women that I have ever lived with or had a significant relationship with are perfect in all regards and do not need to change their behaviors,... Read more »

Boys’ lacrosse beats AHA

Ryan Lawyer
May 26, 2011
Filed under Sports Briefs

With storms brewing in the distance, the boys’ lacrosse team defeated the Holy Angels’ defense on Saturday with a final score of 11-3. Defensively, the Red Knights held Holy Angels to only one goal in each quarter. The high scoring Red Knights’ offense proved effective before lightning ended... Read more »

Boys’ Lacrosse beats Spring Lake Park

Ryan Lawyer
May 26, 2011
Filed under Sports Briefs

The boys’ lacrosse team struggled to get their usual firepower going early in the first quarter, but eventually recovered, beating Spring Lake Park 11-2 on Tuesday. “We were just having trouble finishing,” said junior Will Hoesley, who had three goals against the Panthers. With last year’s... Read more »

Well that’s awkward

Well that’s awkward

Ryan Lawyer, Staff Writer
May 9, 2011
Filed under Humor

As I hurry down the hall to French, I notice someone in my path. Do I go left? Do I go right? Do I keep walking straight? I do a little juke-step, then take a gamble and stay straight. The second hand stops as momentum carries me toward my unwitting dance partner, who has mimicked my every steps... Read more »

Book 2: Hanging Out With Men

Book 2: Hanging Out With Men

Ryan Lawyer, Staff Writer
May 6, 2011
Filed under Humor

It is a universally accepted truth that a civilized man acts differently than he would in the state of nature. Whether in the presence of a boss, a teacher, a coach, or even fellow peers, men cannot be themselves in today's society. It is only in the natural habitat of men that they are permitted to... Read more »

Book 1: In Public With Another Man

Book 1: In Public With Another Man

Ryan Lawyer, Staff Writer
April 19, 2011
Filed under Humor

Most of the time, men are committed to their families, spouses, or jobs. However, occasionally they break free from these commitments and are permitted to rendezvous with other men. These rendezvous are commonly referred to as “man dates.” When on a man date, men will go to dinner (usually a bar),... Read more »

Students find ways to avoid the filter

Ryan Lawyer
April 5, 2011
Filed under News

As BSM becomes a more tech savvy school, websites as common as Facebook, YouTube, and the Knight Errant web page itself, have been blocked by the school’s filter. Now with the one-to-one laptop program, the attempts to evade the block have increased significantly. As security increases, the variety... Read more »

Man love: a primer on bromance

Man love: a primer on bromance

Ryan Lawyer, Staff Writer
March 8, 2011
Filed under Humor

Man love is everywhere in our daily lives as human. It is quite simply, the epitome of the male, human race. Sure, most men desire other women but for whatever reason, nothing can match the sentimental significance of a bro hug in the hall, or butt slap on the football field. All guys who become good... Read more »

Getting huge!

Getting huge!

Ryan Lawyer, Staff Writer
February 18, 2011
Filed under Humor

Normally when someone meets a person, they notice their eye color or maybe their bushy eyebrows or other oddities. But when I met Chad Herr, a personal trainer assigned to me by my summer lacrosse coach, the only thing I could see was his biceps––they were literally the size of my face. As I stared,... Read more »

Dollhouse: six girls, two guys, one roof

Ryan Lawyer, staff writer
January 19, 2011
Filed under Humor

I am comfortable using the word “tampon.” Comments about the female menstrual cycle do not phase me––not even at the dinner table. PMS is a part of my daily life. This is not because I long for a transgender procedure when I am eighteen... it is because I live with six women. My father and I... Read more »

Tech department offers unique opportunity for student

Ryan Lawyer, staff writer
January 4, 2011
Filed under Student Life

Some may hate the daily strains of owning a computer, but to junior Josh Paquette, it’s a lifestyle. Paquette uses his knowledge of computer to work with the help desk, assisting them with the daily problems with the laptop program that arise with over 1400 computers in the school. At the beginning... Read more »

The hairier, the merrier

Ryan Lawyer, staff writer
January 4, 2011
Filed under Humor

What happened to the days of “the hairier, the merrier?” In recent years, bodily hair, of any sort, has been given a bad reputation. Men should embrace their God-given flow. Guys like Tom Selleck, ZZ top, Conan O’Brien, and even the guy from American Chopper know what facial hair is really about—power.... Read more »

Guys’ group inspires

Ryan Lawyer
December 29, 2010
Filed under Humor

I was sitting in the library doing my APUSH homework when I noticed an interesting pattern. A few boys from several different backgrounds were all massing together in the library conference room. I saw the choir boys, a few football players, some cross country kids, and a couple knowledge bowl guys all... Read more »

New teacher: Mr. T

Ryan Lawyer
September 26, 2010
Filed under News

He ain’t no fool, but he ain’t yet on the A team either. Mr. Patrick TeVrucht, or “Mr. T” as students call him, currently serves as a substitute teacher for Ms. Seppala while she is on maternity leave. He teaches the Honors Geometry and Advanced Algebra classes. Mr. T has not always been... Read more »