Dance team takes 2nd in jazz

For the Benilde-St. Margaret’s girls’ dance team, February brought with it lofty expectations––as owners of the past two state championships in jazz, the Knightettes were not only supposed to win this year’s competition, but win in convincing fashion. And though they fell just short of either title––finishing 2nd in jazz and 6th in high kick––the girls were satisfied with both their results and this season’s success.

Dancing to the song “Hallelujah,” the girls’ jazz team advanced easily through the preliminary rounds to finals, but eventually fell to the tough St. Cloud Cathedral. “St. Cloud Cathedral is a very sharp and clean team,” said senior captain Brett Threlkeld. “They have a coach who is very harsh and demanding, while our coaches push us in a positive way, and they support us in everything we do.”

Even though St. Cloud Cathedral won, breaking the Knightettes’ two-year hold on the state title, the girls were satisfied with finishing second. “When we heard our name announced second we were all shocked and excited,” said Threlkeld. “Going to state is a big deal and getting second place was just sugar-coating the awesome season we had been through already.”

In addition to their second-place finish, captains Natalie Dorsey and Amanda Gales were chosen by the coaches as all-tournament dancers. “It was an honor and very exciting to be named to the all-tournament team,” said Dorsey.

The following day, the high kick team likewise advanced through the preliminary rounds, but took sixth after several missteps in the finals cost the Knightettes valuable points. “We weren’t as strong of a team as some of the other schools there,” said Threlkeld. “But what happened is what was meant to be.”

The team will let go of five seniors, including Threlkeld, Dorsey, Monique Sarquis, Makenzie Henk, and manager Taylor Horn. “Ending dance team was, and is, one the of the hardest things that I have had to let go of in my life,” said Threlkeld. “After being on the dance team for five years, I don’t have any regrets.”

With 27 dancers returning, however, the 2010-2011 Knightettes will undoubtedly be hungry for a state championship.  “I think the team will be very successful next year,” said Dorsey.  “They have great leadership and coaches that will be there to help them achieve a successful season.”

Overall, the girls had an exceptional season––winning or placing second in all but one of their competitons––and finished it off with a great ending. “I would choose the place we got with the amazing season we had,” said Threlkeld.