“Jane Eyre” a brilliant adaptation

Jane Eyre a brilliant adaptation

For “Jane Eyre” junkies: if you can get past the plot shortage (only the BBC adaption has been praised for keeping true to Charlotte Bronte’s original) and the slightly uncharacteristic Hollywood good looks of Mia Wasikowska (Jane) and Michael Fassbender (Mr. Rochester), then this movie will be incredibly enjoyable and well worth it, with a clear and spectacular vision of Bronte’s novel from director Cary Fukanaga.

“Jane Eyre,” written by Charlotte Bronte and set in the 1800’s, tells the story of an orphaned girl dubbed as deceitful and hell-bound by her cruel aunt. She therefore takes on the task of making a name for herself and living a full life despite the barriers of feminism and physical appearance along the way running into a haunted mansion, its temperamental master, and a very persistent saint.

Plainly and simply put: Mia Wasikowska and Michael Fassbender are phenomenal. Wasikowska, after having had a huge year as Alice in “Alice and Wonderland” and Joni in “The Kids Are Alright,” puts up by far her best performance. As plain and simple as she may appear, she successfully gets across Jane’s great ambition, wit, and conviction as well as her modesty and shyness at times.

Fassbender, on the other hand, was a great candidate for the stubborn, impatient, and rough Rochester after his roles in “Inglorious Bastards,” “300,” and others. Yet along with bringing out his distasteful qualities, Fassbender shows off Rochester’s sensitive and compassionate side just as well—the contrast in his character bringing out a very strong performance.

And we can’t forget the supporting roles, Judi Dench (Mrs. Fairfax) delivers as always, Jamie Bell (St. John Rivers) embraces his role, and Romy Settbon Moore makes for an adorable Adele.

But don’t think this movie appeals only to die hard romantics; Fukunaga’s emphasis lies more within the character and challenges Jane faces and the mystery and pain she encounters than the love between her and Mr. Rochester (though there is plenty of romance to be sure). The beautiful landscape and the intimate interactions between the characters creates an enchanting and haunting feel which greatly compliments Bronte’s purpose and story of her novel.