Popular thrift stores help students develop unique style at affordable prices

Thrift shopping is a fun and easy way to buy clothes without emptying your wallet. Gently worn clothing can accommodate anyone’s style for an affordable price. In some thrift stores, one may find the designer jeans they’ve always wanted for 50% the original price, and many thrift stores carry older clothing that is coming back in style, offering shoppers more variety than the average shopping experience. Get an eighties sweater for $5, or perhaps a pair of patterned pants for $10, and you have a unique outfit that no one can duplicate. Another pro to thrifting is the variety of ways one can manipulate their purchase, to make their own. For example, after purchasing a high waisted pair of mom jeans, cut the pants legs to make into shorts and bleach them. Suddenly, you own a creative pair of jean shorts, that will never be found in stores. Thrifting is an affordable and unique way to shop, and will always be in style.

Nowadays, it’s hard to find cute, affordable clothes, and in this economy, breaking the bank is not an option. One of the most popular trends is to shop at thrift stores and then alter clothes into cute outfits. Mom jeans for $5 can be cut and turned into shorts, and then layered with leggings, a cute shirt, combat boots and other accessories, to make a very stylish outfit.

Ragstock

• 1433 West Lake Street Minneapolis, MN 55408
  • 12401 Wayzata Boulevard, Minnetonka MN 55305
  • 8251 Flying Cloud Drive #2210, Eden Prairie MN 55344
  • 7924 Olson Memorial Highway, Golden Valley MN 55427

Ragstock may be one of the most well-known thrift stores in the Twin Cities, and its thrift section offers a wide variety of clothing. From eighties sweaters to denim jackets, Ragstock thrives on its abundance of different clothing, having almost anything a thrift shopper could want. Most used clothing at Ragstock ranges from about $5-20, making it one of the more expensive thrifts.

Clothes Mentor

• 3252 West Lake St, Minneapolis, 55416

Perhaps one of the lesser known used clothing stores in the Twin Cities area, Clothes Mentor offers a wide variety of shirts, pants, and especially shoes. The store has rows of different styles of shirts, as well as a wall of purses, including brands like Coach, priced significantly less than their original. Their shoe selection is huge, which carries name brands like Minnetonka Moccasins priced at only $20, to their original price of $56. Clothes Mentor also has a wide selection of pants, including name brands such as Lucky Jeans, Juicy Couture, and Adidas, that are priced as low as $4. The only item they seem to lack is winter clothing, including sweaters and jackets.

Arc Value Village

• 6528 Penn Avenue South Richfield, MN 55423
  • 2751 Winnetka Avenue North, New Hope, MN 55427

Arc has been labeled one of the best thrift shops in the Twin Cities, with a large clothing selection as well as cheap prices. One can find t-shirts for $2, or sweaters for $7, and get away with buying more than one outfit at a time. After sorting through rows of clothing, one is sure to find exactly what they are looking for at Arc; it just takes patience. From their jewelry selection to their coats, Arc is inexpensive and offers a variety of clothing options.

Everyday People

• 2912 Hennepin Ave. S. Minneapolis, MN 55408
  • 1599 Selby Avenue Saint Paul, MN 55104

With only two locations in the Minneapolis area, Uptown and Dinkytown, Everyday People has multiple thrifting options. Not only do they have a variety of pants, but they also have a good selection of dresses as well. From fancier dress styles to summer beach wear dresses, Everyday People has dress selections from just about every decade. From prom dresses from the eighties, to stylish maxi dresses, Everyday People has inexpensive dresses that are great quality.

My Sister’s Closet

• 1136 Grand Avenue, Saint Paul, MN 55105
  • 2741 Hennepin Avenue S, Minneapolis, MN 55408

Located on Hennepin Avenue in Uptown, My Sister’s Closet has an interesting selection of clothing. With a vintage glamour vibe, any girl could find something that fits into her closet. From shoes, to purses, dresses, blazers, and jewelry, there are many options for the more mature girl. It is still slightly pricey for thrift store standards, but many items are on sale for up to 75% off. However, being modeled after an older sister’s closet, this store does lack men’s clothing.

Tatters

• 2928 Lyndale Avenue South Minneapolis, MN 55408

The rock and roll retro vibe in Tatters makes for a relaxed yet funky thrift shopping experience. If you’re searching for the perfect leather jacket with a more than perfect price, Tatters is the place to go, with an entire wall of jackets to choose from averaging around $40 a piece. There are options for everyone from cowboy boots to punk rock combat boots and tattered converse. Tatters also has a vast variety of pants, shirts, and sweaters that appeal to many different styles.

Buffalo Exchange

• 2727 S. Lyndale Avenue Minneapolis, MN 55408

Buffalo Exchange has more of a modern and contemporary feel than other thrift shops. If you’re looking for items that you’d be more likely to find in stores today, Buffalo Exchange is the place to shop. With options ranging from dresses to snowboarding jackets, this store is for everyone. From the almost new sweaters to the barely broken in pumps, the low prices at Buffalo Exchange work for everyone.