Uptown restaurant offers authentic Thai cuisine

This contemporary yet casual eatery–flaunting deep ebony hard woods, expresso-stained walls and elegant parasol light fixtures–is the latest of three Thai restaurants to emerge in the Uptown locale. Adorned with bamboo stalks veiling the entrance and metallic Asian statues trimming the walls, Tum Rup Thai’s varieties of flavors and authentic cuisine make them a cut above the competition.

Appetizers are a must, from spring rolls, calamari, and satay chicken to Americanized cream cheese wantons, each is delectable and hard to choose from. Due to the massive portions, one dish is perfect for two. Enveloped in a thin, wrap doused in a sweet, zesty peanut sauce, it’s impossible to limit yourself to one spring roll. Depending on your will power and appetite, you may want to indulge and order this appetizer all for yourself.

Some Thai restaurants are fairly vague regarding the heat of particular dishes, inevitably resulting in random eye-watering and mouth-wafting spicy surprises. However, at Tum Rup Thai, a red-hot-chili-pepper grading system and knowledgeable staff prevent any unwelcome mix-ups. But, if you’re into voluntarily consuming such surprises, the Gaeng Daeng (Red Curry) is just for you. Revered as a red-hot, traditional dish, this curry is combined with bell peppers, zucchini, egg plant, squash, bamboo, and basil. The combination seems simple enough, but the coercion of all ingredients results in a flavor-filled meal that’s anything but mild.

The Pad Thai is noted as an all-around customer favorite. Made up of stir fried noodles, an egg soy sauce, bean sprouts topped with scallions, cilantro, crushed peanuts and lime, this dish is guaranteed a safe choice for any newcomer. And, with a choice of chicken, pork, tofu, mock duck, beef, shrimp, or squid, the great availability of food options is quite daunting.

Delectable–but never overdone–virtually every menu item is sure to appeal and the friendly service deemed to impress.