Changes coming to BSM marketing and communications department

Students may have wondered why the faces of their classmates have been turning up in their mail. This is only one of the projects the BSM marketing and communications department has been working on this year.  However, with changes coming to the Website, logo, and other internal and external communications, the three-person team that makes up this department will soon be losing one of their integral players.

Director of Marketing and Communication Liz Hogenson is resigning after working at BSM for one year. “It was a new position, I was hired to set the overall position on marketing and define the BSM brand,” said Hogenson. Hired in 2009, Hogenson concentrated on expanding both internal (faculty and staff) and external (public) communications. “There is always a need for more communication. [Hogenson] really helped with those things, overseeing all communications,” said Dr. Bob Tift.

Many of the projects Hogenson and the rest of the department have been working on this year have been related to the BSM brand. “We’ve been defining the brand, what makes BSM unique… what is the spirit of BSM through students’ stories,” said Hogenson, “We [plan] to carry this on for years to come.” It is these student stories that have been made into flyers and sent out to families and friends of BSM–the reason why classmates’ faces have been appearing in mailboxes.

There are also some other projects that are expected to be finished this summer such as the logo and the Website.  “The basic elements of the logo will stay the same; the update will be done in July or August. The new Website will launch before next school year,” said Hogenson.

After a busy year filled with many successful projects, Hogenson is resigning to take another job offer. “I was contacted by someone I worked with before; I worked with the Minnesota Timberwolves. I’ll be returning to sports, [working for] the Minnesota Gophers doing marketing and branding, helping with ticket sales and the overall game experience,” said Hogenson.

As for next year, BSM is currently looking for a new Director of Marketing and Communication to fill Hogenson’s position. “We’ll start interviewing soon,” said Dr. Tift, “We’ve had lots of résumés already coming in.”

Although she has only worked at BSM for one year, Hogenson has helped start a lot of communications projects.  “The momentum will continue,” said Hogenson, who, although she has only been a part of the community for a short time, has brought her own vision to the spirit of BSM.