Annual Interfaith Prayer Service held

Emma Bird, Staff Writer

This year, the BSM community participated in the annual Thanksgiving Prayer Service, which serves to education the students, faculty, and staff about the importance of being one family.

The prayer service was lead by Father Tim Wozniak, Pastor Kristie Hennig, and Rabbi Avi Olitzky. Mrs. Rosalie Goldberg also helped lead the prayer service, as well as readings written by BSM students.

The service was a combination of different prayers, readings, and songs from various religions, but demonstrated the similarities one can find in the way we give thanks for what we have. “It gives us a broader view of what true family is all about. God didn’t create us as separated pockets; he created us to be together,” liturgy coordinator Mr. Mike Jeremiah said.

In addition to the different elements from various religions, the theme of creation was present throughout the service. “Rabbi Avi talked about using creation as a theme, which was in keeping with the Save the Boundary Waters common basket. We came up with six different types of creation: the world, BSM, Minnesota, etc.,” Jeremiah said.

The new liturgy team, consisting of Mrs. Nancy Stockhaus, Mr. Jere Lantz, Ms. Leah Klister, and Mr. Jeremiah, helped create the success of this service. “This is the first year we had a liturgy team to plan the masses and prayer services. We meet quite often, because there is so much to be thought about [when] turning the gym into a space for worship,” Jeremiah said.

The Thanksgiving Prayer Service is a unique experience for every person at BSM that stresses the importance of the differences between us and how that can bring us together. “It’s a different form of worship to be exposed to, and [we] learn that regardless of religion, we are all children of God,” Jeremiah said.